
Title: The Butler: A witness to history
Author: Wil Haygood
Narrators: Forest Whitaker, David Oyelowo, and Oprah Winfrey
Pub. Date: August 13 2013
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Length: 2.5 hours
Audio book Info:
When acclaimed Washington Post writer Wil Haygood had an early hunch that Obama would win the 2008 election, he thought he'd highlight the singular moment by exploring the life of someone who had come of age when segregation was so embedded in the culture as to make the very thought of a black president inconceivable. He struck gold when he tracked down Eugene Allen, a butler who had served eight presidents, from Harry Truman to Ronald Reagan.
Forest Whitaker narrates the story of this remarkable man who, while serving tea and supervising buffets, was also a witness to history as decisions about America's most momentous events were being made.
With a foreword by the Academy Award-nominated director Lee Daniels, The Butler also includes Wil Haygood's essay exploring the history of black images on celluloid and in Hollywood, read here by David Oyelowo and Oprah Winfrey.
My review:
Im not really sure what to say about this audio book, I liked it but it wasnt what I expected. I wanted to here the story story of the butlers time in the White house but this audio book even though it was marketed that way did not really provide. This audio book was mainly the story of how Wil Haygood found the buttler and met him and his family. The buttler shows him all kinds of things from his time in the White House and they take maybe for 5-10 minutes about his time in the White House.
Then it talks about the movie and how it was made etc. Which I did find interesting but I wasnt planing on hearing a promo for the movie. Then an essay is read that the author wrote about black images on celluloid and in history, which again is interesting but not what I bargained for. Then it discusses for about 5 minutes how each president the butler served for handle race relations, events, etc.
This audio book did provide history but not the history it was supposed to provide. This was supposed to be a story about Eugene Allen the butler, not a promo for a movie. Lots of people would love to read a biography about this man or just a memoir about all his time in the White House but instead we are given this 2.5 hours promo (yes the length really surprised me as well)
The narration of this audio book was good. It was done by David Oyelowo, Forest Whitaker, and Oprah Winfrey. Oprah only narrated bits and pieces, which surprised me because I thought we would hear her more, but she did a great job for her part! David Oyelowo was ok but rather boring at times with his tone but he wasnt horrible. On this audio Forest Whitaker is heard the most, his narration is good he makes the audio performance animated in the right parts and interesting. His voice is also rather soothing and calming to listen to.
I would recommend this audio book IF:
You want to here the story story of how Wil Haygood found Eugene Allen
You want to find out some behind the scenes story of the film
You want to learn some history of African Americans on film and in Hollywood
If you want to hear Eugene Allen's story I would sadly would not recommend this audio book. I would wait to see when the whole story ever comes out in print or on audio (if it is ever written.)
I would like to thank Susan from AudioBook Jukebox for letting me listen to and review this audiobook.
No comments:
Post a Comment