Book Info:
In the bestselling tradition of The Friday Night Knitting
Club and The Jane Austen Book Club, three women find
unexpected answers, happiness, and one another with Meryl Streep movies as their
inspiration.
Two sisters and the cousin they grew up with after a tragedy are summoned home to their family matriarch's inn on the coast of Maine for a shocking announcement. Suddenly, Isabel, June, and Kat are sharing the attic bedroom--and barely speaking. But when innkeeper Lolly asks them to join her and the guests in the parlor for weekly Movie Night--it's Meryl Streep month--they find themselves sharing secrets, talking long into the night--and questioning everything they thought they knew about life, love, and one another.
Each woman sees her complicated life reflected through the magic of cinema: Isabel's husband is having an affair, and an old pact may keep her from what she wants most . . . June has promised her seven-year-old son that she'll somehow find his father, who he's never known . . . and Kat is ambivalent about accepting her lifelong best friend's marriage proposal. Through everything, Lolly has always been there for them, and now Isabel, June, Kat--and Meryl--must be there for her. Finding themselves. Finding each other. Finding a happy ending.
Two sisters and the cousin they grew up with after a tragedy are summoned home to their family matriarch's inn on the coast of Maine for a shocking announcement. Suddenly, Isabel, June, and Kat are sharing the attic bedroom--and barely speaking. But when innkeeper Lolly asks them to join her and the guests in the parlor for weekly Movie Night--it's Meryl Streep month--they find themselves sharing secrets, talking long into the night--and questioning everything they thought they knew about life, love, and one another.
Each woman sees her complicated life reflected through the magic of cinema: Isabel's husband is having an affair, and an old pact may keep her from what she wants most . . . June has promised her seven-year-old son that she'll somehow find his father, who he's never known . . . and Kat is ambivalent about accepting her lifelong best friend's marriage proposal. Through everything, Lolly has always been there for them, and now Isabel, June, Kat--and Meryl--must be there for her. Finding themselves. Finding each other. Finding a happy ending.
Author Info:
My novel, THE MERYL STREEP MOVIE CLUB (June 2012, Simon & Schuster/Gallery Books), is set in Boothbay Harbor, Maine, one of my favorite towns and just about an hour up the coast from where I live. What inspired THE MERYL STREEP MOVIE CLUB was not only my love of films and Meryl Streep in particular, but the way movies can change a person and spark conversation. Two people can see the same movie very differently! One night, during a rocky weekend with my mother and grandmother, who weren't getting along, we gathered together to watch The Bridges of Madison County, a favorite of mine that I'd seen at least 3 times. Well, the discussion that movie led to changed our relationship that night. We talked for hours about the issues the film raised and each of us revealed things we normally wouldn't have said. We opened up and our relationship was markedly different from then on.
And so a novel was born.
My favorite Meryl Streep movie? I love so many, but my favorite is Out of Africa. What I love about Meryl Streep (so much that I devoted my novel to ten of her oustanding films) is how exceptional she is at range--from breathtakingly serious to hilariously funny. And to be honest, I just love her face. I think she's exquisite!
I'm not only a movie fan--I'm a huge reader. My favorite books range from childhood favorites such as Anne of Green Gables and Little Women (I've always liked to think those March sisters were my own :) and current favorite authors include Anne Tyler, Elin Hilderbrand, Elinor Lipman, Marisa de los Santos, Fay Weldon, Beth Hoffman, Jennifer Weiner, Sarah Addison Allen, Jane Green, Anne Lamott, Richard Russo, Stephen King, Maeve Binchy, Claire Cook, Jennifer Crusie, Pam Houston, Elizabeth Berg, and many more. I love big-hearted, emotional novels about life and love. I also love memoirs and all kinds of non-fiction. I'm currently reading WILD by Cheryl Strayed and can't put it down.
I'd love to hear from you with any comments (and I'd love to know your favorite Meryl Streep movies). Email me any time: AuthorMiaMarch at gmail.com. And please visit my website: http://www.miamarch.com
My review:
Ok I have to say like most people I really like Meryl Streep so when I got to read this book I was excited. This book overall was just ok for me . Yes it is funny and sad at moments and some of the characters are good but it just wasnt one of my favorites. I think with a fun title like the book has the author could have made it alot more fun, rather then making it a somewhat somber or more serious book. I will say though that for a first book the writting was good. I think I would reccomend this book it would make a nice beach read and there are some people out there who would love this kind of book.
I would like to thank the people at gallery for letting me participate in this blog tour.
And so a novel was born.
My favorite Meryl Streep movie? I love so many, but my favorite is Out of Africa. What I love about Meryl Streep (so much that I devoted my novel to ten of her oustanding films) is how exceptional she is at range--from breathtakingly serious to hilariously funny. And to be honest, I just love her face. I think she's exquisite!
I'm not only a movie fan--I'm a huge reader. My favorite books range from childhood favorites such as Anne of Green Gables and Little Women (I've always liked to think those March sisters were my own :) and current favorite authors include Anne Tyler, Elin Hilderbrand, Elinor Lipman, Marisa de los Santos, Fay Weldon, Beth Hoffman, Jennifer Weiner, Sarah Addison Allen, Jane Green, Anne Lamott, Richard Russo, Stephen King, Maeve Binchy, Claire Cook, Jennifer Crusie, Pam Houston, Elizabeth Berg, and many more. I love big-hearted, emotional novels about life and love. I also love memoirs and all kinds of non-fiction. I'm currently reading WILD by Cheryl Strayed and can't put it down.
I'd love to hear from you with any comments (and I'd love to know your favorite Meryl Streep movies). Email me any time: AuthorMiaMarch at gmail.com. And please visit my website: http://www.miamarch.com
My review:
Ok I have to say like most people I really like Meryl Streep so when I got to read this book I was excited. This book overall was just ok for me . Yes it is funny and sad at moments and some of the characters are good but it just wasnt one of my favorites. I think with a fun title like the book has the author could have made it alot more fun, rather then making it a somewhat somber or more serious book. I will say though that for a first book the writting was good. I think I would reccomend this book it would make a nice beach read and there are some people out there who would love this kind of book.
I would like to thank the people at gallery for letting me participate in this blog tour.
No comments:
Post a Comment